How to Become a Dog Trainer
Get Certified Through Our Dog Training School
Dog trainers enjoy a rewarding career. They train dogs, make a difference in dogs’ lives and get paid doing what they love. Certified dog trainers can start their own dog training business, or work in an animal shelter or pet store. If you’re interested in becoming a dog trainer, let Animal Behavior College help you.
As one of the top dog training schools in the nation, we provide you the education, practical skills and hands-on experience needed to become a dog trainer. As a student, you have the opportunity to study from home and get real work experience within your area.
Learn How to Become a Dog Trainer By Calling (800) 795-3294
Dog Trainer School Overview
The curriculum for the Dog Obedience Instructor Training Program is broken down into 11 stages that cover topics, ranging from basic study of canines to business building tips. Each stage equips you with the knowledge and dog training skills necessary to advance to the externship portion of the dog training program. In stage 10, you can apply everything you’ve learned in your dog trainer courses in a real-life setting.
Hands-On Training & Expert Mentorship
Hands-on experience is one of the most important factors in getting hired, which is why we include an externship portion in your dog trainer program. During the hands-on portion, you work with a Mentor Trainer who gives you the invaluable real work experience needed to become a professional dog trainer.
Flexible Hours & In-Home Classroom Experience
The flexibility of the dog training program allows you to study from home at your own pace. Our program is perfect for those leading busy lives since you can take online courses at your convenience. We have an amazing staff of Program Managers who help guide you along the program. They’re dedicated to helping you succeed in each stage and answering your questions.
Dog Training Schools Everywhere Across the U.S. and Canada
Our dog trainer certification program is available in all 50 U.S. states and every Canadian province. We’re able to offer students in these locations hands-on training due to our growing network of pet industry professionals.
Staff of Professional Dog Trainers
You can rest assured you’re learning from expert dog trainers when you enroll in our dog training program. Founded and operated by award-winning professional dog trainers Steven Appelbaum
and Debbie Kendrick
, our school for dog trainers is designed to help you succeed.
In addition to enrolling in a school built by dog trainers for dog trainers
, you’re receiving top quality education and support from our Program Managers. Each and every one of our Program Managers has graduated from our school, some of who still pursue continuing education and train dogs in their local communities. If you want to learn more about us, please visit this page.
Affordable Tuition & Financing
for our dog trainer program ranges from $3,395 – $5,195, depending on your payment arrangement. This price covers textbooks, merchandise and externship fees. Our Admissions Counselors can help you choose a payment plan that’s right for you. If you’re a military spouse
, you may be eligible for free tuition through MyCAA. Call (800) 795-3294
for more information.
Dog Trainer Certification
Once you complete the program, you receive your dog trainer certification
as well as the title of Animal Behavior College Dog Trainer (ABCDT). From there, you may choose to apply for the Alumni Association, which has many perks, including updates on the latest pet industry news and discounts.
With your dog trainer certification, you can take your career virtually everywhere. Whether you want to work for an organization, train dogs at your local pet store or start your own business, you have many dog training career opportunities available to you as a certified dog trainer from ABC.
Dog Obedience Instructor Training Program
is designed to teach you everything from dog training basics to business building. We bring over 100 years of professional dog trainer experience to our courses with the goal of helping you become an expert dog trainer.
- Stage 1 Basic Study of Canines: Teaches you basic canine knowledge to provide you a foundation for advanced learning.
- Stage 2 Learning Theory: Explains scientific principals behind animal behavior and teaches you numerous behavioral training strategies.
- Stage 3 A Trainer’s Toolbox: Introduces you to a number of dog training tools and equipment.
- Stage 4 Training Fundamentals: Covers the history and evolution of dog training techniques as well as their contribution and relevance to today’s training methods.
- Stage 5 How to Teach Basic Obedience Cues: Teaches you common dog obedience training cues with step-by-step instructions.
- Stage 6 Learning the Art of Effective Problem Solving: Instructs you how to address common dog behavior problems
- Stage 7 Safety: Instructs you how to conduct safe and stress-free dog training classes.
- Stage 8 Public Speaking & Teaching Group Courses: Teaches you how to clearly and effectively lead dog training classes through public speaking methods.
- Stage 9 Business Building: Provides you coaching and business advice from our founder Steven Appelbaum.
- Stage 10 Hands-On Externship & Shelter Volunteer: Gives you hands-on training by working under a Mentor Trainer. Provides you animal shelter volunteer experience as well.
- Stage 11 Final Exam & Graduation
Why Become a Certified Dog Trainer?
Dog trainers can benefit from the fact their jobs are stable. With more than 70 million dogs in the U.S., there is an undeniable demand for dog trainers. You can stand out from the competition by getting your certification from our dog trainer school. By graduating from our program, you have the extensive knowledge and hands-on training that many employers seek in their candidates.
We’ve trained more than 8,000 successful dog trainers over the last 20 years. You can become one of them. To learn how you can get started today, please call (800) 795-3294
or fill out the form on the right.